Thursday, August 14, 2008

Disabling reboot after automatic updates

Personally i hate it when windows forces the issue that a reboot is required after an update has been installed. Sure, if a reboot is needed I'm happy to oblige, but in my own time. If I'm busy working on a system, or it's downloading a large file for me, I don't want windows popping up a dialog box every 10 minutes reminding me to restart, or worse, deciding to restart for me if I've left the computer downloading stuff.

Thankfully, there is a way to fix this. After searching online, I found several solutions, however they all seem to apply only to XP Professional. Here's two methods that work for XP Pro :

One option is by making changes to group policy. At the run prompt type gpedit.msc and then navigate to : local computer policy > computer configuration > administrative templates > windows components > windows update. There's two settings you can change here - either enable "no auto-restart for scheduled automatic updates installations" or adjust the setting for "Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations" and make the delay much much longer (the default is every 10 minutes - I've set mine to once a day).
(thanks to http://www.codinghorror.com for this tip)

The other choice is a registry edit. open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
Then add a DWORD value "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers" and set the value to 1 to enable it.
(from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328010)

But if you're on XP home (as my laptop is) then neither of these choices work. Thankfully, there's a registry hack similar to the one from the microsoft KB article which works just fine :

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\

Then add a DWORD value "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers" and set the value to 1 to enable it.

As usual, any registry editing is done at your own risk, and if you trash your OS it's your own fault. If you're not sure, don't do it.

No comments: